Tuesday, August 19, 2008

push it back?

I found this article interesting. Seems that a bunch of college presidents got together to push for the drinking age to be moved back to 18. It's definitely weird to me that you can be a legal adult in so many other ways and not be afforded all the rights of adulthood. I also understand that it's difficult for colleges to treat some students differently than others. It's a weird situation. On the other hand, nobody wants more drunk driving deaths. I don't drink personally, but I don't think it' morally wrong if the drinker is legal and the intent is not to get drunk. I'm not sure how I come down on this particular issue, but I'm tempted to go with the college presidents. I usually favor more freedom over less. What do you guys think?

1 comment:

  1. Yeah, I heard about this recently too. I do see the point that they make. However, the thing that pops into my mind is high school students. There are some seniors who are 18 who could feasibly have easier access to alcohol and provide it to younger students. And, I think 16-18 year olds are more likely to do something stupid than maybe a 21 or 22 year-old.

    ReplyDelete

Send in the Clown?

I haven't blogged in a long time, but I wanted to jot down some thoughts I had about the movie Joker . There will be spoilers. For me,...