Saturday, November 4, 2017

In Defense of Fairweather Fandom

Among sports obsessives, there's few worse things you can be than a fairweather fan. Your bond with your beloved team(s) is supposed to be so strong that you forsake all others and pledge to honor them in good times and bad. But for me at least, this kind of thinking is unhealthy. If the team I like can't put a good product on the field/court, then I should have no obligation to continue watching. With so many other entertainment options out there and so many productive ways I could be spending my time, why should I waste it watching something that's only going to make me miserable?

I've seen many articles delineating the exact circumstances that make it okay to "break-up" with your favorite team. But that's all just nonsense to me. If you're not having fun, just stop watching. When/if your team starts playing well again, you're free to start watching again. No one should harass you for not being a masochist. I'm not obligated to watch a critically panned sequel to a film just because I enjoyed the first one in the series. Similarly, I'm under no obligation to follow every move of a sports organization simply because I've rooted for them in the past.

There are those who'll argue that the eventual wins are sweeter because you've suffered through all the losing, but I don't find that to be the case at all. Winning is fun regardless. No Cubs fan enjoyed the team's World Series win last year any less because they didn't watch every out of the 2002 season when they went 67-95. Red Sox and Patriot fans too young to remember the lean years can still find joy in each new victory.

As I write this, my alma mater, ECU is losing 21-0 in the first quarter to Houston. I'm sure I have friends who are watching right now. And if they feel like they're getting something positive out of it, good for them. If they feel like it connects them to the team in some way and bolsters their pride in the University to watch every moment of every game, then that's fine with me. They're trading current happiness for something else. But no one has the right to say I'm not a real fan because I've chosen not to watch the carnage. I value my time and my happiness and choose to guard them both. The choice you make is up to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Send in the Clown?

I haven't blogged in a long time, but I wanted to jot down some thoughts I had about the movie Joker . There will be spoilers. For me,...