Thursday, September 8, 2005

acting out on the town

I saw an interesting commercial on while I was getting ready for work this morning. It was advertising some kind of new dating service. The service was called "Just Lunch." The idea is for young business men and women to get together on arranged lunch dates through the service. It's "just lunch," so it's nothing serious, but it's a way to meet new people without the stress of the dating or bar scene. Sounds good, right? But the commercial shows these two young, attractive people in impeccable business atire and you know that's not who uses the service. People like that are already married or dating and if they're not, they don't have any trouble finding dates. While I'm sure there are exceptions from time to time, the people who use dating services are not young, good-looking professionals. They're lonely schlubbs and schlubbettes who aren't married or dating for a reason. It's not Joe and Jane Proffsional going out on a date. It's Wendy who works at the DMV grabbing a quick lunch with Amos, the fry cook at Denny's. I'm not saying that's a bad thing. I'm just saying they've got their target audience all wrong.


Am I supposed to talk about class in at least one entry too? Good question. But you know what? I'm the instructor, so I can do whatever I want, yo. I shouldn't say "yo" anymore unless it's followed by a second "yo" and refers to a stringed toy.

Will came to talk to the class today. That was fun. I'm not sure if he's clinically insane or more of a down-home folk medically diagnosed insane, but he's definitely got a few screws loose. You can definitely tell he used to be a theatre person. He loves having an audience. He should probably watch less rap videos though.

I wouldn't say I was ever a theatre person exactly, but I used to do some acting. I was never good enough for the lead role, but I had some good secondary parts and even being in the chorus was always a lot of fun. I really miss being up on stage. There's something alluring about it. You get to speak someone else's words, and make them your own. You get to put on somebody else's life for a few hours and make it as real as possible. That's not to mention the audulation of the audience. Even if you weren't great, they'll pretend. They have manners, so they'll clap and cheer, make you feel special. Where else do you get that sort of instant feedback? Other than acting, musical performance, and athletics, where do people actively cheer for you. What other time in your life will total strangers show you appreciation and tell you what a good job you've done. We definitely love our entertainment in this country and that's why it's so great to be an entertainer.

1 comment:

  1. i agree with you with what you said about being up on stage making you feel alive my knowing from exprience from being in ensemble myself and actually having a competion in new york it certainly makes you feel special and taken care of

    ReplyDelete

Send in the Clown?

I haven't blogged in a long time, but I wanted to jot down some thoughts I had about the movie Joker . There will be spoilers. For me,...