Monday, September 12, 2005

indie cred

I really need to start bringing my discman to campus when I come for my office hours. I've been sitting around my apartment all morning listening to music and now that I'm here the silence is deafening. I've been in an indie mood today. I refound a band I listened to a while back. They're called The Forecast and they're pretty fun. I like the back-up singer/bassist chick. She makes their music a little more interesting than it would be otherwise. Her voice reminds me of Melanie Wills, the chick who sings on a couple of From Autumn to Ashes songs. And speaking of female singers, I was also listening to some Rilo Kiley. I can't say I'm a huge fan, but I really like their single, "Portions for Foxes." Plus, their singer is the girl from The Wizard and the guitar player is the kid who played Pinske on "Salute Your Shorts." If that isn't enough reason to like a band, I don't know what is.

And while we're on the subject of bands you should listen to, Blindside just came out with a new cd. I can't say I'm a huge fan of their older stuff, but their last three cd's have all been incredible. If you've never heard them before, you should check out Silence first as that's probably their masterpiece, but the new cd might be one of my favorites too once all is said and done. It's really creative and interesting. Go here and click on the video for Sleepwalking. If you're into any sort of rock music, you won't be disappointed.

If you're looking for something with a little less mainstream sound, there's always Cursive. They're a little emo, a little indie, a little disjointed and weird, but so amazing. I love how their music is so unmelodic. I know that sounds weird. It's a little hard to describe I guess. The lyrics are also very self-referential. Sort of meta-lyrical. Ask me what that means someday. Anyway, it's good stuff. Listen. Read. Love. Or don't. Whatever.

"So write some sad song about me
Screaming your agony
Playing the saint
The martyr"
"The Martyr" By Cursive

No comments:

Post a Comment

Send in the Clown?

I haven't blogged in a long time, but I wanted to jot down some thoughts I had about the movie Joker . There will be spoilers. For me,...