Monday, June 19, 2006

it's theoretical, not personal

I wanted to clarify my last blog entry since the elder Miss Crosswhite seems to have been upset by it.

I didn't mean to say that I think girls are evil. I didn't mean that I don't believe in love or happiness. The entry wasn't even about me at all really. I just think that instead of one special person and only one person that you are destined for, there could be multiple people out there that you're compatible with and that you'd be equally happy dating or married to. I don't see that as a negative thing.

While we're on the subject though, it bothers me when people tell me that they know I'm going to find someone. I realize they're just trying to be encouraging, but I don't agree. After years of watching movies and reading fairytales, Americans have developed this nothing that everyone has someone out there waiting for them. The Christian community has co-opted that idea, turning it into a faith issue. "Don't worry. God has someone special for you." I guess that's a nice thought, but I don't remember the passage of the Bible where God promises everyone a mate. Lots of wonderful people, both Christian and nonChristian, go their whole lives without ever finding someone. I'm not saying that I'll neccessarily be one of those people, but I don't think you or anyone else has any evidence to the contrary. I may meet some amazing girl and fall in love tomorrow. And I may die at eighty-five without ever having been married. I don't think there's anything pessimistic about considering both possibilities.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Send in the Clown?

I haven't blogged in a long time, but I wanted to jot down some thoughts I had about the movie Joker . There will be spoilers. For me,...